The following principles apply to the personally identifying information we ask for and that you provide. “Personally identifying information” is information that individually identifies you, such as your name, physical address or email address. You can find more details about the data we collect on particular services by clicking the links on the side of this page.
- Google search, the Google Toolbar, Google News and some other services do not require any personally identifying information.
- Google collects limited non-personally identifying information your browser makes available whenever you visit a website. This log information includes your Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your query and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser. We use this information to operate, develop and improve our services.
- Some of our services require you to register for an account. Google asks you for some personal information in order to create an account (typically your name, email address and a password for your account) and we will use that information to provide the service. For certain services, such as our advertising programs, we may request credit card or other payment information which we maintain in encrypted form on secure servers.
- When we require personally identifying information, we will inform you about the types of information we collect and how we use it. We hope this will help you make an informed decision about sharing your personal information with us.
- We do not rent or sell your personally identifying information to other companies or individuals, unless we have your consent. We may share such information in any of the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent.
- We conclude that we are required by law or have a good faith belief that access, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property or safety of Google, its users or the public.
- If you have an account, we may share the information submitted under your account among all of our services in order to provide you with a seamless experience and to improve the quality of our services. We will not disclose your account information to other people or non-affiliated companies, except in the limited circumstances described in this Policy or with your consent.
- We may store and process personal information collected on our site in the United States or any other country in which Google Inc. or its agents maintain facilities. By using our services, you consent to the transfer of your information among these facilities, including those located outside your country.
- We may share aggregated information with others. Examples of this include the number of users who searched for “Mars Rover” or how many users clicked on a particular advertisement.
- We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data.
- We restrict access to your personally identifying information to employees who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services.
Updating your information
- We provide mechanisms for updating and correcting your personally identifying information for many of our services. For more information, please see the help pages for each service.
- The sites displayed as search results or linked to by Google’s services are developed by people over whom Google exercises no control. These other sites may place their own cookies on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information.
- Google may present links in a format that enables us to understand whether they have been followed. We use this information to understand and improve the quality of Google’s search technology. For instance, this data helps us determine how often users are satisfied with the first result of a query and how often they proceed to later results.
Changes to this Policy
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us any time.